Marsh Landing Management Company
Marshlanding Management

Hampton Park

Marsh Landing Management Company (MLMC) manages Hampton Park, and Elizabeth Reese is your Association Manager. Should you have any questions concerning the community, Elizabeth will be happy to assist you. You may reach her by calling (904) 273-3033. She is also available by e-mail at

Homeowner assessments are billed semi-annually and payment is due within thirty days of receipt of your invoice. These funds are used to maintain the recreational facilities, common areas of the community, the gates and guard house and to fund the Reserve. 

The community website is where you will find information and news relevant to the community. Available on the web site are the HOA Documents, Rules and Regulations for the community, Board and Committee members, and the ARC Guidelines and the electronic ARC application form.

The Hampton Park Board of Directors meets on the second Tuesday of each month at 6:00 PM at the Hampton Park Amenity Center. All residents are welcome to attend the Board meetings. Your input concerning the community is always welcome.

Exterior modifications to your home or property require prior review and approval by the ARC. Applications must be submitted in advance on the website

Please report any covenant violations or common area concerns to your Association Manager.

Hampton Park - FAQ's

When are my Owners' Assessments due?

Owners' Assessments are billed semi-annually to all owners. They fund the Reserve, Access Control and Gate Operations, Community Common Area Maintenance, and other General Operating Costs. It is the owner's responsibility to update any change of address with Management Company to ensure proper receipt of assessment statements.

What do I need to do if I want to make an exterior modification to my house?

Please complete an ARC modification form on the association's website. Any modification or change to the existing structures or landscape must be submitted and approved before they are begun.

What do I need to do if I want to remove a dead tree from my lot?

Please complete ARC modification form along with a picture of the diseased/dead tree if possible, along with a copy of your site survey showing the location of the tree.

When is trash pickup?

Trash pickup occurs on Wednesday and Yard Debris pick up occurs on Tuesdays. If you have any questions concerning trash pickup or lawn debris removal, please call 630-CITY. Please do not place yard debris at the curb more than 24 hours in advance of pickup day; landscapers should remove all clippings and debris as part of their service.

What do I need to do if I want to add/remove guests or service providers such as landscapers or pest control vendors allowed to enter to my standing list?

Please use the Gate Sentry app to add or remove any vendors or guests, this can also be done on your desktop. Note: If a two-person household becomes a single person household, the Association must be provided with a copy of the legal documentation needed to exclude a former owner who is no longer on the deed.

What do I need to do if I change vehicles?

Please bring your new vehicle registration to the Marsh Landing Management office and a new bar code will be issued to you for $15. Also, please tell the Management Company which vehicle you are replacing so that the old bar code can be removed from the system.

What do I need to do if I notice a covenant infraction?

Please report any infractions to the Property Manager in writing or via email. The email address for the Association Manager is

How can I stay informed about Hampton Park's Rules and Regulations?

Copies of the covenants and the Rules and Regulations are located on-line: The Management Company can also provide hard copies for the cost of reproduction.

How often does the Board of Directors hold meetings?

The Board meets monthly on the third Tuesday of each month, at 6 PM in the Amenity Center. Meetings are open to all residents. The Board always takes questions from residents.

What do I need to do if I obtain a trailer, boat, Jet Ski or RV?

We regret that the documents do not allow the above-mentioned vehicles to be parked in driveways; however you may park your vehicle(s) in your garage. This includes any commercial vehicles.

How can I report unlit streetlights?

Please report streetlight issues to the city through their online reporting system. You will need to note the address that the street light is located next to and the light number located towards the top of the light pole.

How can I report the common area landscaping maintenance and lake maintenance issues?

Please contact the Association Manager at (904) 273-3033.
Jacksonville Property Management